Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Nothing Can Come Between Us Except Facebook


“Mama, you can not write on my facebook page”. That was the message I received from my daughter no less than 30 seconds after I posted on her facebook wall, “Mama loves you”. I thought I was being cool. Afterall, Kenya always screams I love you to me on the phone no matter who is around. We hold hands on campus, in the mall, on the city street. She is still prone to bust out with a skip down the sidewalk at any time and as embrassing as she makes it seem she never fails to sing the little name song I made up for her when she was 1 on cue. So I text her I Phone from my Blackberry, “why can’t I write on your facebook page”? Her response, “because you’re my mother. You can call, text, email to talk to me. Facebook isn’t that domain”.

So Facebook has finally come between us. I mean we do everything together…we make fun of people together (lol), we go to the movies together, we got tattoos together and hear this…we even went to the club together (check out my blog title In The Club). But I guess I missed the whole facebook revolution. Too busy being an entrepreneur, keeping house and family together to even consider it as a part of my life. However, when I saw that it became a part of my daughter’s life…I said…I better join so I could see what’s going on . I’ve always been like that. If Kenya showed a great interest in a particular artist…then so did I. If she started reading a particular author…then so did i. If her interest in a subject of activity waned…then I went on the investigation to find out why.

But I guess I took things a little too far when I sent the message. I was suppose to observe. Not participate. LOL.

Which is one of the rules of motherhood. Stay in your children’s business until they become adults and then meddle only when asked or motherly instinct dictate as such. But while they are children. It’s all your business. Just know when and where to reveal your identity. Some things…our children never have to know…

PS. I found the photo above on her Facebook page. LOL. She has a whole heap of photos on Facebook. "Mama Loves You".